- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 12 slices of nitrate free ham
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- dash of salt and pepper
- 12 eggs (or 2 ¼ cups liquid egg whites)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Spray a medium sized skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the onions and broccoli. Cook until tender. Remove from heat.
- Using kitchen scissors, make a slice to the center of each piece of ham, then fold into a cone shape in each muffin cup. Fill halfway with the broccoli mixture.
- Crack an egg into each ham cup. Bake for 16-20 minutes, or until the edges of the ham are crispy.
Use any variety of veggies combinations you like. To make your ham cups very low in fat, use the liquid egg whites option)
Nutritional Analysis: One ham cup equals: 12g protein, 2g carbohydrate, 6g fat,
Egg white option: 11g protein, 2g carbohydrates, 2g fat.
Ham and Egg Casserole
Starting your day off with a breakfast that is filled with protein and healthy fiber is a key way to stay on track with your fitness and fat loss goals. Many breakfast options today are filled with simple sugars and grains which sets you up for a day filled with poor food choices. This recipe for Ham and Egg Casserole is filled with all of the energy-packed ingredients you need to power your day, to burn fat, and to feel great. Enjoy the leftovers for lunch or dinner!
Here’s what you need…
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups diced ham
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- ¾ cup shredded cheese, divided
- 8 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup skim milk
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a large casserole pan.
- Spray a small skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl combine the tender onion, ham, broccoli and ¼ cup of the shredded cheese. Spread this broccoli mixture over the prepared casserole pan.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, milk, pepper, salt and most of the remaining cheese (save a handful to sprinkle over the top of the casserole). Pour the egg mixture over the broccoli mixture in the casserole pan.
- Cover the casserole pan with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the foil, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and continue to bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, cool for 10 minutes, serve and enjoy!
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 197 calories, 10g fat, 4g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, and 24g protein.
- 20 ounce bag frozen, shredded hash browns
- 8 slices lean ham coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 6 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 red papper, diced
- 6 eggs + 6 egg whites
- 1/2 cup skim milk or non-dairy alternative like almond or cashew milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cooking spray (to lightly coat slow cooker)
Lightly spray your slow cooker. Layer half of the hash browns into the bottom and top with half the ham, half the cheese, and 1/3 of the green onions. and 1/3 of the red pepper. Set aside some ham, green onion and red pepper for garnish and then repeat with a second layer of hash brown, ham, cheese,onion and red pepper.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, salt, and pepper and slowly pour over top. Cook until eggs are set, approximately 2-3 hours on high, or 4-5 hours on low. Sprinkle remaining ham,onions and red pepper on top and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information: Serves: 8 | Serving Size: approx. 6 ounces (approx. 1 cup)
Per serving: Protein 21g; Carbohydrate 14g; Fat 10g